Thursday, December 14, 2006

Perfect Example of Where This Blog Wants to Go

Tadween is one of those ideas that will slowly grow as I figure out the direction and road it is meant to travel...one part of where it should go, is finding and featuring blogs of those who are making a difference...today, I found one such blog, and hope you will link to it, and follow the travels of a Peace Corp Volunteer.




An Exchange

The other day a fellow volunteer told me an interesting story that I felt sums up much of our job as Peace Corps Volunteers.

A couple weeks ago she was sitting at the market drinking the local beverage, chouck (I’ve written about it in past entries… I think there is even a picture of me drinking it somewhere in the archives.) A little girl (probably 5 or 6 years old) and her mother were there as well, sitting a few feet away. My friend saw the girl point to her and ask a question to the mother. We are all very used to being talked about and she thought nothing of it.

Again the little girl asked something of the mother and pointed at my friend. This time the mother got up, and slightly sheepishly walked over to where my friend was sitting and asked, “I’m so sorry to bother you, but, my daughter has never touched white skin before. Would you mind if she touched you?” My friend being the good sport she is thought for a second and said, “Sure.”

No comments: